Monday, March 26, 2007

The thrill that cost me dearly...

We fought for space and time
Sometimes angry for no reason or rhyme
I simply could not understand your fears
After all it was only a couple of beers

Your constant calling and concern
Your worry, Dad, I couldnt discern
I cut your call and screamed with glee
As the car stereo boomed 'Tonight you and me!'

As we raced down the road
The wind in my face unburderning the load
I, at the wheel, smiled at him and he held my hand
Life seemed just perfect in all its strand

Then I took a wrong turn
And before I knew it I rammed into a car in front
The next morning when I woke up
I was no longer the yuppy teenager

As I sit near his grave today
All I hear are sounds of cries
All I see is his blood on my car as his car horn beeps loudly in the eerie night
I had snatched a son, brother and friend that day
And all I got were a few stitches...

Oh! The pain is so much
My heart could explode
All I feel are the tears that sting me
Alas... regrets do nothing but taunt me...

(This poem was born when I heard someone I knew had lost his life in a car crash. An extremely fun-loving and smart person who died a tragic death due to a girl who had too many drinks that day!)

2 comments:

Sujith said...

booze never ceases to inspire art!

Pranay said...

Very well written. It must be a horrible feeling. Have nightmares about being in such a condition. Do read my post...ugly side of life.
C ya.