Sunday, March 25, 2007

Cinema and Movies!

I truly enjoy cinema. Not the movies but the cinema. Ok I do sometimes want to just sit back and let Akshay Kumar tickle my funny bone or nerve or watever. But mostly I prefer cinema.

You know the ones which get reviewed as 'different' 'aethestic' and 'off-beat.' I dont know but I have a penchant for those stories which reek out of the characters. I dont want to see someone (surely shivering) at the Alps serenade in a sari. I want to see Aditi Shrikant Pandit wipe her glasses and chide her husband. I dont enjoy Aishwarya Rai doing Ishq Kamina as much as I enjoy her being Guru's wife.

And yes I am a sucker for sob stories. The tragedies of life - pain, separation, hurt and death. Thats why I cherish Zakhm, The Notebook and Black. One of my all time favourite films is Stepmom - one which always manage to evoke varied responses each time I see it. The mere sensitivity with which it is handled is mind-boggling. The struggle for recognition between the two women is amazing.

I recently saw Nishabd and I loved the film. I think it is an extremely beautiful film. Crafted so well and especially long leg shots of Jiah are astounding. I mean you need to be a distinct sensibility to make such a film. And this from a filmmaker who has made films like Company. There is just no slotting of this man.

Another man whose films I enjoyed watching is Madhur Bhandarkar. Chandni Bar and Page 3 are exceptional films for the mere treatment of the subject. It reminded me of the 1970s era wherein the hero was a common man and not someone who drove a ferrari!

I also am pretty thrilled with the recent film on the Namesake. I mean these are pertinent issues of identity and cinema often is a good medium to bring them to the fore.

I do catch all other movies most of which are quite entertaining. But its only once in a while that a Astitva or a Pather Panchali comes by and no one can create magic like them! :)

No comments: