Saturday, March 24, 2007

I the Protestor!

For a very long time now I have hibernated in the dark corners of my mind and havent written my blog. Somewhere I knew it would beckon me. So here I am back on the circuit. And that is due to a specific reason. It all happened when extremely hot dry March afternoon.

I never truly understood the meaning of protesting against something until the moment I was a part of a protest rally. I was screaming slogans, holding placard and raising my voice in protest. This was unimaginable 5 years ago. I believe I was very status quoist type of person. I dont like conflicts and often wondered about protests. But this moment when I stood up with several other students to protest against the Khairlanji and Nandigram incidents, I understood why so many people across the world do it. What drives them and what they get out of it.

In the end, there were many who said whats the point it isnt as if it makes a difference. But I knew it made. It made a difference because at least we made our dissent known. At least it stirred something within me.

I think sociology is really sensitising me. Awakening me. It is a good feeling. It is "de-academising" me as Sir would say ;) Most of my college friends wont believe that I bunk classes, I am not the top scorer and I am not stressed at all. In fact I am reading much more than I did in BMM and quite enjoying it.

My bias towards Mumbai has made me averse to Pune but I think I owe a lot to the city. It seems to have changed my perspective. Things I otherwise took for granted now need to be earned. The comfort I felt in a familiar place is now replaced by a constant sense of adventure.

I think it is now that I am truly being a student :) Well cheers to that!

2 comments:

Sujith said...

cheers indeed :)
keep it going :)

Dee Spake Trash Anyway... said...

hmmmm so u protested on the streets! i am delighted!!