Thursday, September 25, 2008

Song(s) of my heart….

Its funny how some songs remind you of a specific time of your life. Have you listened to a song and been transported to a bygone era. A time when life didn’t seem so simple or a time when there were no clear answers. And you wonder if your brain didn’t store those memories where would you be?

And this is not about nostalgia alone. Its about the small moments that make up life. If I couldn’t recall Christmas of 1993 when I hear Roja’s songs or think of great times spent with friends when I hear Dil Chahta Hai’s songs. If Jodhaa Akbar hadn’t been my solace during my research and if DDLJ didn’t remind me of my friend’s wedding.

I often hear listen to English songs and speak fondly of times gone. And my only connect to my past are Hindi film songs. Call me filmi! But every song has a memory of its own and its almost as if my life is spun around the songs.

Gadar shall forever be etched in my mind and everytime I hear “Udd Ja Kale Kawa” I remember my dissertation and all the joys that went with it.

Atif Aslam forever remains the favourite singer whose every song holds a special memory.

What is it about songs that make us connect to them? I hum … a lot. Its almost as if a song is playing on my jukebox and it just needs a trigger. I also sing sometimes and it just helps me see life more clearly.

Some songs are opportune for the moment. Like when my best friend left town, I remembered “Dil Ke Tukde Tukde Muskurake Chal Diye!”

And my college farewell where we sang “Pal” 60 of us together and put KK the singer to shame!

Or the time spent at the University singing “Hum Kis Gali Ja Rahe Hai”

And sometimes I wonder what if one day, the words escape me. I forget who I am.

Will I then be able to reassemble my life through the songs?

T S Eliot says "You are the music while the music lasts" Hmm good thought :)

2 comments:

Pranay said...

Wonderfully written!
Geet gaata chal...

Sujith said...

know whats funny? our past gives our lives all its meaning and we live for the future. so typical of us . . . [:)]