Friday, June 20, 2008

6 pack eh?

French philosopher Michel Foucault said body and sexuality are cultural constructs and he couldnt have been more right! By the way there is a craze for well-toned, muscular (for men) and "size zero" (for women) which by the way is dangerous to life, one could understand the obessession with the body.
Personally though I feel its best to be as natural as possible. Yes some of us tend to be more blessed with fat than others and the attempt should be to stay at optimum weight according to age and all. But the chase to be the 'thinnest of them all' doesnt help. I know several friends who in dire need to lose weight push themselves too hard causing grave danger to their life. But over-blessed friends have time and again narrated the heartwrenching experiences of being stared at, mocked for their weight and always being the butt of all jokes! One of them told me, "these days I crack jokes on my weight before someone else does. That way I still seem to have control over what is said about me. Not that it hurts any less!"

Interestingly, this is a serious concern among men, all of whom are intimidated by the Hrithiks and Salmans. Being muscular isnt being masculine, now is it? This is why I think I truly enjoyed seeing Ranbir Kapoor in Saawariya as a simple boy falling in love rather than some muscular dude (which is good I must admit, but not a prerequisite) who danced awesome and wooed the girl. People around us arent really those bronzed men, roaming shirtless on the streets, are they? Which is why I feel Imran Khan also may make a mark for himself because its just overdose of muscular men on screen. Yes, I believe in heroes and superheroes but when AB fought 10 goons alone in the 70s, I believed that too. I think a sincere attempt will do.

So while its always great to work on one's bodies, never is to be forgotten that well-toned bodies make a good first impression. Thats it! After that, it has to be who you truly are that will take the story forward. So take heart friends and if people keep telling you "oh my you are sooo skinny/ you have put on weight!" reply them as I do "Isnt that amazing. Dont I look smashing" Most people (out of diplomacy) will smile and wonder why you didnt feel bad.

And you will have the last laugh :)

1 comment:

Karthik said...

Phew! Atleast someone cares about us, poor, skinny, paunchy souls.