Friday, May 30, 2008

Being young, being old

Everytime you interact with someone younger to you, I guess you realise how old you are or at least how young you are made out to be. Because the former depends on your age - numerically where you stand since the day the doctor's hands ushered you into the world. but the latter is what really matters because thats what people percieve you to be.

I shall illustrate with an example. I happened to spend some quality time (4 days) with a teenager this week and have learnt some very important lessons.

First, that I could ride on a bus for 2 hours without speaking a word and yet not feel uncomfortable.

Second, listening is an integral part of being a teenager's companion.

Third, you need to watch out for unsaid gestures and caring words to understand what the teenager thinks of you.

Fourth, you are old enough to stand by and see someone else go through the same turbulence of teenage and know that they'll come out just fine :)

Finally, I came to know I was deemed as a fun person to be! I, who wont speak a word unless spoken to, who struggles with small talk, who isnt whacky, funny or quirky and yet I am fun!

Thats when I realised, it isnt in your age or how stereotypically young or old you behave. Its about who you truly are. Because once the novelty wears off, its the person within that matters.

And thats when genuine friendship begins. Not being judgemental helps a lot too.

I am glad I spent sometime with her because she taught me so much about myself. Thanks Miss Cool Teenager :)

No comments: